- Jan 14, 2015 – Work Group Meetup
- Jan 28, 2015 – Getting Involved: How to Find Your Place in the WordPress Community (Kyle Maurer, Real Big Markerting)
- Feb 11, 2015 – Work Group Meetup
- Feb 25, 2015 – Introduction to HTML for WordPress Admins (Ross Johnson, 3.7DESIGNS)
- Mar 11, 2015 – Work Group Meetup
- Mar 25, 2015 – Introduction to PHP for WordPress Admins (Mark Montague, University of Michigan)
- Apr 15, 2015 – Work Group Meetup
- Apr 29, 2015 – Business Development for WordPress Freelancers (Declan O’Neill, 3.7DESIGNS)
- Date: Nov 12th 2014
- Time: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/WordPress-Ann-Arbor/events/214760782/
- Location: Michigan Union Tap Room, 530 S State Street, Ann Arbor, MI
Show up to work on your WordPress site, get help with your WordPress site, help other people with their WordPress sites, or just chat with other local WordPress users. There will not be any agenda, speaker, or topic. People of all backgrounds and levels of experience are welcome. Come to share what you know and learn what you don’t know.
- If you want to get help, please come prepared with everything other people will need to help you, including the information you need to log in to your WordPress site as an administrator (site URL, username, password, SFTP information), information about your WordPress hosting provider (cPanel or other information), and so on. Bring your own laptop, if you have one, so you won’t have to trust entering your password on someone else’s laptop.
- If multiple people are waiting to get help with their site or ask questions, we’ll switch to new people every 30 minutes.
- If you know the answer to someone else’s question, please consider helping them.
- If you or your company provide for-fee WordPress consulting or services, no sales pitches please, and no charging for any help at the meetup. You can say that you offer consulting or services, and pass out business cards or flyers, but anything beyond that should happen at a different time and place than the meetups.
- Please be courteous, professional, and respectful of others. Everyone is a community volunteer.
The Tap Room is on the ground floor of the Michigan Union, at the corner of State Street and South University. Find the Subway restaurant in the food court and keep going back through the double doors. We’ll be at one of the group work tables with a monitor; look for a “WP Ann Arbor” sign. In addition to the food court restaurants, there are Starbucks and Au Bon Pain one floor above if you’d like coffee or pastries.
It may be possible to park for free in the small visitor lot behind the LSA Building, on Maynard Street, or in the lot next to the Student Activities Building if spaces are available. Street parking and University Blue-lot parking are also free from 6pm on; carefully check the posted signs. But parking will definitely be available in the City of Ann Arbor Maynard Street parking structure, 1 block away, for $1.20/hour. More parking options are available on the map, if you click on the (P) icon.
- Date: Oct 29th 2014
- Time: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- RSVP: http://www.meetup.com/WordPress-Ann-Arbor/events/209438142/
Topic: Understanding Content Caching: what it is and how it works
If you are tired of treating WordPress content caching as a black box with just a “Purge Cache” button on your dashboard and a “Clear browsing history” button in your web browser, then this presentation is for you. This will be an in-depth, highly technical look at what caching is and how it works to speed up your WordPress site. We won’t go into how to setup popular caching plugins, but we’ll instead take a look at how those plugins work under the hood for people who want to understand the theory behind what is going on.
- Mark Montague
- Intermediate to Advanced
Call for Topics & Speakers:
If you have a topic you would like us to cover, please let us know. Also, we are always looking for new speakers to talk about WordPress related topics, if you, or you know someone who would like to speak, please get in touch.
Location (Room 2001, LSA Building, 500 S State Street, Ann Arbor MI 48109)
Room 2001 is on the 2nd floor of the LSA Building (1 floor above the ground floor), directly off the 2nd floor lobby. You can enter either from State Street (the front of the building) or from Maynard Street (the rear of the building). The doors will remain unlocked until 7pm, but we’ll post signs on the doors directing you where to go and including a contact cell phone number.
It may be possible to park in the small visitor lot directly behind the LSA Building, on Maynard Street, or in the lot next to the Student Activities Building if spaces are available. Street parking and University Blue-lot parking should be free from 6pm on; carefully check the posted signs. But parking will definitely be available in the City of Ann Arbor Maynard Street parking structure, 1 block away, for $1.20/hour. More parking options are available on the map, if you click on the (P) icon.
Lessons Learned Launching a Premium Plugin
So you have an idea and you think there is a market for it… Guess what, ideas are worthless without execution. So how do you go from an idea to actually creating, selling and earning money from your premium plugin or theme? In this talk Ross Johnson will talk about his experience in launching Project Panorama, a plugin that helps people manage client expectations. He will cover the inspiration for his idea, how he validated the market, the tools necessary to build and sell the plugin and the day to day realities of having a product based WordPress business.
For our June Meetup, Ross Johnson will show us how to build WordPress Shortcodes and simple plugins.
For our May meetup, we’ll be talking about making your WordPress website more search engine friendly.